Werewolves Within, is a game of social deduction that brings the fun of game night with friends to virtual reality. One of the first multiplayer VR games created, Werewolves Within captures the essence and competitive spirit of playing live around a table with friends, and channels that into a social VR experience. Werewolves Within will be available on major VR platforms in Fall 2016.
Werewolves Within transports players to the medieval village of Gallowston, where they must uncover the werewolves that have been terrorizing the townsfolk. Designed as an online multiplayer experience for five to eight people, players assume randomly assigned roles at the beginning of each game, some of which grant special abilities that will help players deduce who is a werewolf in disguise. To keep the experience dynamic, games are quick, with roles changing each time. One round you could be a villager, pleading your case for innocence, and the next round you could be a werewolf, lying your way to a win.
“VR is proving to be an amazing platform for social interaction, moving toward truly feeling like you are there with other people,” said David Votypka, Sr. Creative Director at Red Storm Entertainment. “Werewolves Within gives players a taste of how VR can generate strong social connections, allowing you to get together to have a great time with others no matter how near or far they are.”
Watch the trailer below to learn how to play and see game footage!
Red Storm Entertainment is seeking a talented UI Tech Artist to join one of Ubisoft’s biggest IPs, Tom Clancy’s The Division! If you have a blend of strong technical skills, as well as UI artistic sense this may be your next big opportunity to work on a hot AAA franchise. At RSE the UI tech Artists are challenged to not only create incredible art but to ensure optimal performance and look in game engines. The right candidate will thrive in a collaborative, fast-paced environment. He or she will work closely with the Team to bring the UI to life, pushing to achieve the highest quality possible within the specifications.
- Create and implement engaging user interfaces for video games on gaming consoles and PC
- Quickly conceptualize, prototype and implement functionality and design intentions
- Build and implement node based UI, keeping in mind design and overall art treatments/ screen-to-screen UI placement, maintaining consistency through the entire project’s interface
- Work directly with engineering to solve interface technical and implementation issues
- Create compelling visual treatments that are easy to understand, simple to navigate, and convey information for an ideal end-user experience
- Adapt to varying art styles and direction; able to take critique constructively
- Identify priorities and gaps in current designs, and contribute/iterate creative solutions
- Develop designs with international localization in mind, and assist with challenges of multi-language products
- Communicate and collaborate with cross-departmental (design, engineering, test) team members to solve UI challenges
- 3+ years as a technical UI artist with a strong technical background
- Experience creating and implementing UI art assets for PC or console games
- Expert in 2D image applications (Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash) required
- Experience with motion graphics (After Effects, Flash, Scaleform)
- Experience using C# and Maxscript
- Keen understanding of game workflows and pipelines with a successful background in innovative and intuitive user interface creation
- Must be able to conceptualize, present and execute ideas within a tight schedule
- Strong artistic, oral, and written communication skills
- Excellent sense of design
- Robust interpersonal skills and ability to interact with team members of different disciplines on a global level
Senior technical designers are competent in both system and level design, but are known for being detail-oriented developers with advanced technical skills when compared to other designers. As part of a multidisciplinary production team, they help shape the architecture for new game systems; as well as, create and implement the more complex technical design elements into the game. Equally, they advocate and shape production efficiency and product quality, primarily for system development and world creation. It is expected that their work will be of the highest quality.
Senior technical designers act as a point of contact between designers and other disciplines. They regularly identify ways to improve communication amongst disciplines as they are uniquely positioned between content creators, engineering, and other departments. They are trusted to take direction from the conception phase, collaboratively refine designs into a clearly defined and deliverable idea, and drive development through to a shipped product.
- Drive the development of feature prototypes by working in close collaboration with production, technical directors, engineers, and other disciplines
- Provide insightful feedback in design discussions with an emphasis on the realities of the engine and system constraints and how they will impact development
- Provide accurate risk assessments to production, engineering, and design when new features are proposed
- Maintain a clear understanding of design direction so that systems can be implemented to spec and design intentions can be communicated clearly to other disciplines
- Develop and enforce best practices including naming, script conventions, spatial metrics, budgets, production pipelines, and tools
- Document, conduct training sessions, and enforce best practices for implementation of maps in the engine throughout production
- Provide constructive, critical feedback for designers creating level layouts and placing gameplay elements so they can properly scope their work and achieve the highest quality within the time constraints
- Obtain in-depth knowledge of the engine, its capabilities, and auxiliary development tools
- As an advanced user, help test new features and tools before they are deployed to the rest of the team and throughout production
- Work with Technical Directors, engine team, and production to improve tools, methods, task management, etc.
- Effectively utilize production and QC to manage workload
- Document and enforce technical standards for content creators
- Stay current with innovations in game development technology and production methodologies to innovation to the project
- Provide constant technical support on the tools and engine for every member of the team
- Debug and implement reliable solutions to difficult issues until production has ended
- Help more junior members of the team enhance their skills both interpersonal and technical
- Critique and provide feedback to more junior members of the team
Ubisoft Charity Jam is next week starting Sept. 21st! Our charity is Extra Life locally benefiting Duke Children’s Hospital & Health Center! Be sure to check out our live stream on Thursday at 4pm EST!
Go to charityjam.ubisoft.com for the full live stream schedule and how to donate.
In this new “Beyond the Studio” we take a look at some of the tattoos that can be found around the studio and follow Game Designer Rob Newns get his new tattoo from Dogstar Tattoo
We are so excited to announce today that we are developing Flutesmith 2016! Here’s a sneak peek into the that development of note tracking and performance capture.
Ever wonder what it takes to get a Mohawk? Check out how our Lead Level Designer Terry Spier gets ready for a trip to The White House.
Sit down with Terry Spier (Lead Level Designer), Kenneth Price (Associate Producer), and Rob Newns (Game Designer) to learn more about what went into the design of Far Cry 4’s PvP.