Why Red Storm? Cutting-edge games. Inspiring people. Amazing benefits. Apply today!
Red Storm Entertainment offers an outstanding benefits package to eligible employees:
• Heavily subsidized paid medical and dental insurance for employees and dependents
• Paid life, accidental death & dismemberment, short and long term disability insurance
• 401(k) plan with match
• New hires start with 3 weeks of vacation annually, increasing to a cap of 5 weeks based on years of service
• 3 weeks of sick leave annually
• 9 paid holidays (and we’re closed the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day)
• Flexible work schedule
About the Area
The Raleigh-Durham area is consistently regarded as one of the best places to live, work, & play. If there is a Best Of list, our area is likely in the top 10. We have highly rated public school systems and three major universities. There are beaches to the East, mountains to the West and endless green spaces in between. We even have a trail behind our studio!
Red Storm Entertainment is seeking Gameplay Programmers to join the biggest new IP in Ubisoft’s history Tom Clancy’s The Division! If you have strong gameplay programming abilities, and an extensive knowledge of online multiplayer gaming systems this may be your next big opportunity to work on a hot AAA franchise. At RSE the developers are challenged to collaborate with team members globally to achieve optimal performance and quality gaming experiences.
- Writes programs in a variety of computer languages using tools such as Microsoft visual studio, Perforce, C++, PS4 Development Kit
- Update and expand existing programs
- Evaluates engine or middleware strengths and weaknesses
- Modifies existing code to improve design, structure and clarity
- Validate and verify whether the newly developed systems fulfill the intentions of the project and are coherent with the existing code
- Ensure that the implementation of the controls and game systems provide the player with the experience that the designer and creative director had envisioned
- Debugs and corrects the gameplay bugs identified by the production and quality control items.
- User performance analysis tools to determine areas that need optimization
- Performs code reviews for peers (detects errors, programming flaws)
- Build and use computer-assisted software engineering tools.
- Master’s Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related field, plus 1 year of programming/development experience, which must include experience in the video game industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering or related area, plus 5 years progressive experience in programming/development, which must include experience in the video game industry.
Senior technical designers are competent in both system and level design, but are known for being detail-oriented developers with advanced technical skills when compared to other designers. As part of a multidisciplinary production team, they help shape the architecture for new game systems; as well as, create and implement the more complex technical design elements into the game. Equally, they advocate and shape production efficiency and product quality, primarily for system development and world creation. It is expected that their work will be of the highest quality.
Senior technical designers act as a point of contact between designers and other disciplines. They regularly identify ways to improve communication amongst disciplines as they are uniquely positioned between content creators, engineering, and other departments. They are trusted to take direction from the conception phase, collaboratively refine designs into a clearly defined and deliverable idea, and drive development through to a shipped product.
- Drive the development of feature prototypes by working in close collaboration with production, technical directors, engineers, and other disciplines
- Provide insightful feedback in design discussions with an emphasis on the realities of the engine and system constraints and how they will impact development
- Provide accurate risk assessments to production, engineering, and design when new features are proposed
- Maintain a clear understanding of design direction so that systems can be implemented to spec and design intentions can be communicated clearly to other disciplines
- Develop and enforce best practices including naming, script conventions, spatial metrics, budgets, production pipelines, and tools
- Document, conduct training sessions, and enforce best practices for implementation of maps in the engine throughout production
- Provide constructive, critical feedback for designers creating level layouts and placing gameplay elements so they can properly scope their work and achieve the highest quality within the time constraints
- Obtain in-depth knowledge of the engine, its capabilities, and auxiliary development tools
- As an advanced user, help test new features and tools before they are deployed to the rest of the team and throughout production
- Work with Technical Directors, engine team, and production to improve tools, methods, task management, etc.
- Effectively utilize production and QC to manage workload
- Document and enforce technical standards for content creators
- Stay current with innovations in game development technology and production methodologies to innovation to the project
- Provide constant technical support on the tools and engine for every member of the team
- Debug and implement reliable solutions to difficult issues until production has ended
- Help more junior members of the team enhance their skills both interpersonal and technical
- Critique and provide feedback to more junior members of the team