Technical designers are competent in both system and level design, but are known for being detail-oriented developers with advanced technical skills when compared to other designers. As part of a multidisciplinary production team, they help shape the architecture for new game systems; as well as, create and implement the more complex technical design elements into the game. Equally, they advocate and shape production efficiency and product quality, primarily for system development and world creation. It is expected that their work will be of the highest quality.
Technical designers act as a point of contact between designers and other disciplines. They regularly identify ways to improve communication amongst disciplines as they are uniquely positioned between content creators, engineering, and other departments. They are trusted to take direction from the conception phase, collaboratively refine designs into a clearly defined and deliverable idea, and drive development through to a shipped product.
- Drive the development of feature prototypes by working in close collaboration with production, technical directors, engineers, and other disciplines
- Provide insightful feedback in design discussions with an emphasis on the realities of the engine and system constraints and how they will impact development
- Provide accurate risk assessments to production, engineering, and design when new features are proposed
- Maintain a clear understanding of design direction so that systems can be implemented to spec and design intentions can be communicated clearly to other disciplines
- Develop and enforce best practices including naming, script conventions, spatial metrics, budgets, production pipelines, and tools
- Document, conduct training sessions, and enforce best practices for implementation of maps in the engine throughout production
- Provide constructive, critical feedback for designers creating level layouts and placing gameplay elements so they can properly scope their work and achieve the highest quality within the time constraints
- Obtain in-depth knowledge of the engine, its capabilities, and auxiliary development tools
- As an advanced user, help test new features and tools before they are deployed to the rest of the team and throughout production
- Work with Technical Directors, engine team, and production to improve tools, methods, task management, etc.
- Effectively utilize production and QC to manage workload
- Document and enforce technical standards for content creators
- Stay current with innovations in game development technology and production methodologies to innovation to the project
- Provide constant technical support on the tools and engine for every member of the team
- Debug and implement reliable solutions to difficult issues until production has ended
- Help more junior members of the team enhance their skills both interpersonal and technical
- Critique and provide feedback to more junior members of the team
- A passion for shipping high quality games
- Proactive self-starter who can operate autonomously when requested
- Thorough and detailed
- Effective, tactful communicator
- Experience in all phases of shipping a product
- Understanding of software engineering principles
- Strong work ethic
- Positive Attitude
- Problem Solver
- Extensive experience in all phases of development from inception to ship
- Relevant scripting experience with such as python, C#, or visual scripting
- Onsite gym and Mind, Body, Spirit reimbursement program for activities that help you be a better version of yourself.
- Food & Fun: Monday breakfast, Thursday meeting munchies & drinks, Surprise Snacks, Launch Parties, Monthly Years of Service Celebrations, Family Picnics, Sporting Events, Holiday Parties, the list goes on…
- Superior health, dental, vision packages with a substantial employer contribution for a healthy you, healthy family, and a healthy wallet.
- 401k match for that day you retire to your dream island…
- Paid Maternity/Paternity Leave for the day your family grows…
- Generous Vacation, Holiday and Sick time for those days you need to be away…
- Employee purchase program for Ubisoft titles for those days you want to play…
- Amazing coworkers, visionary leadership, and a work hard, play hard attitude that will make you want to stay.
About the area: Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill and RTP Area (Research Triangle):
- Topping the charts in Best Places to Live, Work, & Play. If there is a list of Best, we are confident our area is in the top 10.
- Highly rated public school systems. Plus, 3 major universities.
- Beach to the East, Mountains to the West and Green spaces in between. Plenty of parks, paths & trails are intertwined in the cities. We even have a trail behind our studio!
- Sports: Whether you like to play or are a spectator – we’ve got you covered! The Mecca of the ACC, home to the Stanley Cup Champions The Carolina Hurricanes, AAA Baseball team The Durham Bulls, AA The Mudcats and so much more!
- Culture: Art, History, Music we have it all. 2 Performing Art Centers, 3 Music Amphitheaters, Iron Chefs, Food Trucks & so much more.